Well...after hearing about it from so many friends, hubs and I decided to finally watch the documentary "FORKS OVER KNIVES". It was so interesting to see these two doctors explaining how meat is not necessarily a good ting to have in your diet. All of the statistics were very interesting! If you haven't watched this yet....you def. should! You don't have to be a person that's super into diets or anything like that...it's just an interesting thing to watch!
That being said...hubs and I have decided to challenge ourselves to 30 days of being vegan. YEP...that's right! 30 whole days of NO meat, dairy, eggs, cheese, white breads, etc! It is kind of scary and overwhelming to think about it but I have actually found a lot of great recipes on Pinterest. For me, the thing that is throwing me off the most is that we tend to plan our meals based on what meat we are having. You just have to get that out of your head and dive on it!
Day One has been pretty good so far! Here are the recipes that I threw together for my meals :
Fiesta Lime Corn Salad :
1 can sweet corn (drained)
1/2 can black beans drained
A handful of cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
1 avocado - cubed
- Throw the corn in a skillet and let it simmer a little and just cook some....then move it into a mixing bowl.
- Throw the black beans in the same skillet after the corn is done and let them warm up a little...then dump them into the same bowl.
- Add the avocados and tomatoes into the same bowl.
- Squeeze the half of the lime over the ingredients.
- Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and then salt and pepper to taste.
IT WAS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE!!!
Fresh Basil and Garlic Pasta :
Whole Wheat Linguini
1 teaspoon Garlic
Italian Seasoning (like a tuscan mix or something like that!)
Fresh Basil - about 4 leaves - chopped into bits as big as you like them!
Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- Cook your pasta according to the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a skillet, add olive oil (i just wing it, I basically want it to lightly coat the pasta in the end), the garlic, italian seasoning and let it heat up.
- Once this is heated up, add the asparagus and let it cook.
- Drain your pasta and add it into a big bowl with the olive oil mixture and asparagus, tomatoes (uncooked), and the basil.....
THIS IS OUR NEW FAVE MEAL! IT"S SO EASY TO THROW TOGETHER!
As you can see, I like to thrown together recipes that don't have exact measurements....I just like to wing it a lot! It just makes life a little easier and less stressful! :)
Do you have any favorite vegan or vegetarian recipes?! I would love to hear them!!
ALSO... don't forget to hop over to the ACCESSORY DASH Facebook page! We are having a fabulous new giveaway for this Inslee By Design painting :
The giveaway ends TOMORROW morning! So get over there and get your entries in!!!